[BioSQL-l] columns in compound keys

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Fri Mar 14 19:23:14 EST 2003

I changed the version columns in dbxref and bioentry to be NOT NULL and
added a comment stating what to put there if you don't have a version
and how to interpret a version of 0 (zero).

Related to this, what are peoples' feelings about adding NOT NULL to
the various 'rank' columns that participate in a compound unique key
(with the same default convention if there is no sensible rank)?

I don't have a strong opinion about that since in all those cases I
made sure I do assign a rank in the adaptor code before insert, because
I ran into trouble without doing so, which means I got different
behaviour between different RDBMSs (something that was fine on one
threw a UK violation on another). So, for the same reasons I'd strongly
recommend that adaptor developers define a version anyway, regardless
of whether the schema leaves it optional. So, one might just as well
demand it in the schema.

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org