[BioSQL-l] ontology for transitive closure table

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 13:27:00 EST 2003

Each step in a path is between a pair of terms that may or may not be
from the same namespace. Paths themselves in the general case are not
within a single namespace. If you did the transitive closure calculation
considering a set of namespaces, then I guess you could give a unique ID
to that set and label the path with that set. Thinking about it, that
set is much more sane a label for the path. It says 'I can get from this
term to this term using information only from these domains'. That
smells like what we want to optimize searches on.

The current biojava ontology API punts on these issues. We explicitly
import terms from one namespace to another e.g. MyDomain would import
core:isa as MyDomain:isa(remote term core:isa). So, if we reason over
namespaces x, y, z (e.g. join SO to genbank feature names using fred's
table of identities) then paths would end up being constructed in some
namespace where all the terms have been localy imported. Not sure how
sane that is. Hey ho.

Matthew

--
BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk