[BioSQL-l] The taxon table

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Jul 2 13:54:52 EDT 2003

Correct. I do recommend though to pre-load the taxonomy database, as
species designations are a challenge to parse generically under every
circumstance. If you have a NCBI taxon ID provided in the datasource,
and most public datasources do provide that, you can reduce the problem
of getting the species correct to making a look-up by NCBI taxon ID.

That also means that every library establishing persistence to biosql
should look up species by taxon ID first, not species name. If the taxon
is actually an E.coli strain but the full binomial for some reason
doesn't include the strain name properly, you'll end up linking to the
wrong taxon if you look up by 'E. coli'.

	-hilmar