[BioSQL-l] gbrowse running on biosql

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:08:53 -0400

Hi Guys,

I've got gbrowse running on top of biosql via a Bio::DasI adaptor.  It took
about six hours, three of which were to come up to speed on biosql, half an
hour to write the adaptor layer, and another 2.5 hours to find and fix all
the latent bugs that a new adaptor exposed in gbrowse!

Basically, the adaptor allows you to type in the accession number of a
BioEntry, and get a graphical rendition of its feature table, all nicely
scrollable and zooomable.  Other features, like the various pretty dumpers
and the restriction map generator, seem to work.  If you're interested in
trying it, you need to CVS update bioperl-live and the Generic Genome Browser
CVS (www.gmod.org).  There's a sample configuration file called "biosql.conf"
that you must modify slightly for your local configuration.

The main limitation of this adaptor is that it uses the
Bio::DB::BioSQL::BioDatabaseAdaptor module, which is a pure RandomAccessI
interface.  This means that I can't intelligently fetch features from a
restricted coordinate range, but instead have to fetch *everything* and then
filter them for the region of interest.  This limits the usefulness of
gbrowse to moderate size entries (under a megabase, I guess).  If someone can
point me to a way to construct virtual entries that contain feature tables
that have been filtered by coordinate and/or by primary_tag, this would allow
the interface to scale considerably.

Also, I need volunteers to translate gbrowse's messages file into Spanish,
Russian, Korean, Japanese and Swedish.  If someone would like to help out
with this I'll send you a messages file in English, and you just replace the
English with your favorite language.  It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Lincoln

--
Lincoln Stein
lstein@cshl.org