[BioRuby] Ruby installation

Russell Whitaker russell.whitaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:44:23 UTC 2014

Please tell me you're kidding: the default Mavericks /usr/bin/ruby is
"ruby 2.0.0p247 (2013-06-27 revision 41674)
[universal.x86_64-darwin13]", which contains a now well-known security
vulnerability:

http://blog.rubygems.org/2013/09/09/CVE-2013-4287.html
http://www.scip.ch/en/?vuldb.11266

Yes, the default "works out-of-the-box," but that's insufficient.
Every _professional_ ruby development shop uses some kind of ruby
version management, be it rvm, rbenv, chruby, or whatever.

Friends don't let friends use system ruby:
http://robots.thoughtbot.com/psa-do-not-use-system-ruby

"On Linux I usually just pick the latest Ruby interpreter and that works
then. Having said that, my Linux VMs usually do not last very long (purged
after the job is done), so I do not know how great the Linux eco-system
maintains versioning."

Using the same ruby version management tools as above. Really.

Russell

--
Russell Whitaker
http://twitter.com/OrthoNormalRuss