[BioRuby] Ruby installation

Joachim Baran joachim.baran at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:23:05 UTC 2014

Hey!

  I wholeheartedly disagree. :)

  I had to use rvm beforehand, because Ruby installations were a mess.
However, with the newest Mac OS X I find that the up-to-date Ruby
interpreter works really well -- including the gem system. MacPorts also
installed some Ruby versions in its /opt hierarchy, but those are at the
end of my $PATH and get ignored.

  On Linux I usually just pick the latest Ruby interpreter and that works
then. Having said that, my Linux VMs usually do not last very long (purged
after the job is done), so I do not know how great the Linux eco-system
maintains versioning.

  So, from my perspective, Ruby is the easy choice that works
out-of-the-box.

Kim