[BioRuby] [GSoC] Weekly report #1

Artem Tarasov lomereiter at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 11:58:46 UTC 2012

Hi all,

here's my report about the past week:
http://lomereiter.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/gsoc-weekly-report-1/

Brief summary:

1) BioRuby unit tests and Rubinius bugs — I posted 2 issues in Rubinius
bugtracker, and one of them is already solved. Rubinius in 1.8 mode should
now pass all tests. The situation with 1.9 mode is not that great, but I'm
working on it.

2) I started to collect D optimization tricks on github wiki page.
Currently, it contains just 6 tips, but this number is going to grow.
Probably, another page will be created soon to keep best practices of
connecting Ruby and D. Since my project and Marjan's one have a lot in
common, I think it's important for us to not waste time on something that
already have been investigated.

3) During the week, I learned a bit about BDD and Cucumber, enjoyed it, and
wrote my first two features.

4) Measurements of object instantiation time in Ruby suggest that exposing
low-level D functions via FFI makes little sense. I'm going to discuss with
mentors which high-level functions should be available, and make that into
Cucumber features.

--
Artem