[BioRuby] BioRuby.org website

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 29 18:02:09 UTC 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Pjotr Prins wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 04:13:55PM +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
>> Re: 'experimenting with this': that's a possibility, but then you
>> run the risk of opening avenues for users that might be shut down
>> later.
>
> I don't see why everyone is overreacting. I am not proposing this as
> an alternative channel to the others you mention. It is just to
> provide direct access to the BioRuby authors. Very much like providing
> a phone or Skype number. Our normal response to a regular question
> would be to point users to IRC, the ML, stackexchange, whatever.
>
> Lowering all barriers to entry, without it costing too much, is our
> goal. If it turns out we get hammered with bad questions, or get
> irritated, or it does not work, we just shut it down. If it works and
> we get more people on IRC and our ML, everyone gains.
>
> Note btw that I am proposing this functionality, and others, will be
> made available to other Bio* projects.
>
> Pj.

That's fine, I'm not saying "don't do it", just that (based on experience) users can feel a little burned when something they expect to work no longer does, and that spending time on this vs. coding is a tricky balance.  If enough devs in the community can chip in and keep it up, more power to you.

chris