[BioRuby] BioRuby.org website

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Wed Feb 29 17:20:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 04:13:55PM +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> Re: 'experimenting with this': that's a possibility, but then you
> run the risk of opening avenues for users that might be shut down
> later.

I don't see why everyone is overreacting. I am not proposing this as
an alternative channel to the others you mention. It is just to
provide direct access to the BioRuby authors. Very much like providing
a phone or Skype number. Our normal response to a regular question
would be to point users to IRC, the ML, stackexchange, whatever.

Lowering all barriers to entry, without it costing too much, is our
goal. If it turns out we get hammered with bad questions, or get
irritated, or it does not work, we just shut it down. If it works and
we get more people on IRC and our ML, everyone gains.

Note btw that I am proposing this functionality, and others, will be
made available to other Bio* projects.