[BioRuby] Google Summer of Code project ideas

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Sun Feb 19 09:31:54 UTC 2012

I added the following GSoC proposal:

http://bioruby.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code#Testing_framework_for_biogem_plugins

Testing framework for biogem plugins

Rationale

    Biogems are Ruby gems that are created by independent authors, see the publication. Designing an automated testing frame work for different versions of Ruby is critical for the successful use of Ruby in bioinformatics. Gems should be tested on release, but also when tagged on github

Approach

    We integrate facilities of http://biogems.info/, http://rubygems.org/ and http://github.com/ to automatically test gems that get released in the public domain. We can make use of open-bio's testing framework to test individual gems, or crowd sourcing setups, such as http://test.rubygems.org/ to test gems in different setups. Next we program the http://biogems.info/ website to show the test results in easy way.

Difficulty and needed skills

    Ruby scripting, and affinity for web integration, some web programming including Ruby, HTML (HAML), CSS and Javascript (Coffee)
The project requires

Mentors

    Pjotr Prins, Raoul Bonnal, Peter Cock (confirm)