[BioRuby] Google Summer of Code project ideas

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Fri Feb 17 17:21:03 UTC 2012

Thanks Raoul. I added:

Write the world's fastest parallelized GFF3/GTF parser in D, for Ruby FFI

Rationale

    GFF3/GTF parsers are used by genome browsers and next-gen sequencing
tools. Current parsers are slow and use a lot of memory. A fast low-memory
parser would be beneficial to many bio-medical projects

Approach

    Based on existing implementation we can design a fast parser using the D
programming language. D provides capabilities for hand-crafting
high-performance parsers. If required, parallelization of records can be
introduced by using Actors. D can compile libraries which can be bound to Ruby
using a C-style interface. This means the GFF3/GTF parser can be used from
Ruby. The design will focus on iterating records and feeding them back to the
Ruby environment. The library will also be useful for Python, Perl and the
JVM.

Difficulty and needed skills

    This is a challenging project. Advanced programming concepts, concurrency,
foreign language bindings.

The project requires

    An interest in high performance computing. Some affinity with coding in C
and one or more interpreted languages

Mentors

    Pjotr Prins (author of bio-gff3), Raoul Bonnal

Other interested parties

    Naohisa Goto (author BioRuby's GFF3 parser), Brad Chapman (author
Biopython's GFF3 parser) and Peter Cock (Biopython), Chris Fields (BioPerl).