[BioRuby] Installing Ruby 1.9 on CentOS 5.4

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Fri Nov 4 16:44:01 UTC 2011

Hi Peter, CentOS 5.4 seems to be very old the lates is 5.7 and I would say
it has very old packages. 1 Day ago I installed sqlite3 and the default
version in 5.7 was too old as well, it's odd but I don't think CentOS is the
right distro for these stuffs.

This is what I did to update sqlite
"
I had an old sqlite package installed on my CentOS box and sqlite3-ruby
wouldnt install without atleast sqlite 3.6.16

So for installing from source

wget http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-autoconf-3070500.tar.gz
tar xvzf sqlite-autoconf-3070500.tar.gz
cd sqlite-autoconf-3070500
./configure
make
sudo make install

*Modifica del percorso di ricerca delle librerie:
- create  file /etc/ld.conf.d/aaa.conf
- add row: /usr/local/lib
- ldconf (per ricaricare i percorsi di ricerca delle librerie)

Now you also need to install the sqlite-devel packages, that is a yum
install so

sudo yum install sqlite-devel

To install the gem

sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

Probably the best thing to do is to help Peter in setting up a VM with a pre
installed Ruby environment, what about using CloudBioLinux as base distro
for testing ?