[BioRuby] tutorial

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 3 20:52:50 UTC 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Raoul Bonnal wrote:

> Dear All,
> a) this discussion is a good starting point for a workgroup during Codefest 2011 and/or BOSC (can't post to bopen-bio list cause I don't have the addr here, sorry)
> a.idea) why not create a common "machine" on the cloud for testing our projects ?! It would be fun to see all the bio* with stats about testing etc...

I think the buildbot instance covers some of that, but they are mainly automated builds:

http://testing.open-bio.org/

biopython is the only one set up currently.

> b) testing is very important and new contributes should be accepted only with tests, which implies a problem how to check fake tests? :-)

Code review and checking the test results.  Otherwise, you have to trust your developers.

> c) usually ruby's community relies a lot on doc==tests that's completely wrong, because the newbies can't read fluently the code, also because there are different tools and sometimes a lot of mocking.
> c.a) recently i had an idea, but I have no time to do that: establish a relationship between a mock and a real object and validate the mock or enable it only if the real object has been tested before. That would make mocking more sens to me, but i think this is another story.

Yes, I've thought about that as well re: Moose-based work, haven't wrapped my head around it either.

> d) I agree with Toshiaki, after this very useful brain storming start working (Impressed to see all this traffic :-) )
>
> Cheers.

+1.  Will be interesting to see how things progress.

chris