[BioRuby] tutorial

Raoul Bonnal bonnalraoul at ingm.it
Thu Mar 3 20:29:15 UTC 2011

Dear All,
a) this discussion is a good starting point for a workgroup during Codefest 2011 and/or BOSC (can't post to bopen-bio list cause I don't have the addr here, sorry)
a.idea) why not create a common "machine" on the cloud for testing our projects ?! It would be fun to see all the bio* with stats about testing etc...
b) testing is very important and new contributes should be accepted only with tests, which implies a problem how to check fake tests? :-)
c) usually ruby's community relies a lot on doc==tests that's completely wrong, because the newbies can't read fluently the code, also because there are different tools and sometimes a lot of mocking.
c.a) recently i had an idea, but I have no time to do that: establish a relationship between a mock and a real object and validate the mock or enable it only if the real object has been tested before. That would make mocking more sens to me, but i think this is another story.
d) I agree with Toshiaki, after this very useful brain storming start working (Impressed to see all this traffic :-) )

Cheers.
  _____