[BioRuby] biogem and options

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Tue Jan 11 10:47:55 UTC 2011

Raoul,

http://twitter.com/#!/ilpuccio/status/24766316493672448
> @tktym could you point me to some example of what you mena, please?
> "provide a recommended template for rdoc, require lines, and class def"

In my example plugin,

  https://github.com/ktym/bioruby-hello/blob/master/lib/bio-hello.rb

I used a style something similar with the BioRuby core library
which is described in

  https://github.com/bioruby/bioruby/blob/master/README_DEV.rdoc

but I'm not sure what is the best practice for plugin.
It might be better to include the documentation in the README file instead.

In ether case, what in my mind is to auto-generate a plugin description
from those embedded description for the "plugin showcase" which will be
available somewhere on the bioruby.org site in the future.

For that purpose, we may also want to have some flags indicating:

* status of the plugin (stable, usable, buggy, just started etc.)
* the plugin will override the BioRuby core or just provide new features harmlessly
* pre-requirements (especially, other than gems)

etc. etc.

Here's a material for further discussion (example template):

#
# = Bio::XXX - BioRuby plugin for XXX
#
# Copyright::  Copyright (C) 2001, 2003-2005 Bio R. Hacker <brh at example.org>,
# Copyright::  Copyright (C) 2006 Chem R. Hacker <crh at example.org>
# License::    The Ruby License
# Site:        http://github.com/user/bioruby-xxx
#
# == Description
#
# This plugin provides an interface for the XXX database.
#
# == Usage
#
# Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, ....
#
# == Effects (Overrides?)
#
# * Modify the behavior of Bio::Sequence::NA#translate destructively
# * Add methods to the Bio::DB class
#
# == Depends (Requirements?)
#