[BioRuby] BioRuby multiple sequence alignment and phylogenetics tutorial

Christian Zmasek cmzmasek at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 19:00:08 UTC 2011

Hi, all:

I (finally) started to work on the promised multiple sequence alignment and
phylogenetics tutorial.

You can see the "development" version (not much more than a scaffold at this
point) here:
http://code.google.com/p/forester/wiki/PhyloBioRuby

(Obviously this needs to be moved once it approaches completeness.)

Any comments?

Please note:

1. In order to allow BioRuby to run at least a very simple phylogenetic
inference 'pipeline' (unaligned sequences to phylogenetic tree), I am thinking
about writing wrappers for RAxML and FastME and possibly some programs from the
PHYLIP package.

2. I still need to test (and clean up) Sarah Rayburn's GSoC code ('SDI') so that
it can be considered for inclusion into the main BioRuby distribution.

Christian Zmasek

PS. We discussed this a little on the BioRuby irc-conference 24. Feb. 2011.