[BioRuby] BioRuby Wrapper for Command line application (GSOC 2011)

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Wed Apr 6 09:48:52 UTC 2011

Hello Ales,
 thank you for submitting your proposal,
like Michal:
I quote here the discussion with Chris and Christian, if you could write a better time line in form of days/weeks with tasks/objectives I think it would be better:

this is the quote from Christian and Chris

Hi, Michal:

I think your project plan needs to be much more detailed.

It might be best in a format similar to the template/example below:

Prior to coding ("community bonding period"):
-Familiarize myself with BioRuby code base
-Learn about graphics within/from Ruby
-Discuss ... with mentors/BioRuby community
-...
-Learn about git, set up my repository

Week 1:
Goal: Develop necessary utility classes for ...
Anticipated problems: None

Weeks 2 and 3:
Goal: Develop class to visualize intron/exon structures...
Anticipated problems: Such and such might not ...
Alternatives: If XYZ turns out not feasible, I plan to ... instead

Week X:
Goal: Unit tests for ...

Week Y:
Documentation ...

Hope this helps,

Christian Zmasek
----
Michał,

In general, the proposal should answer the questions below, but should also have a rough timeline on how you would go about coding the project, creating deliverables for the community for testing, etc. This should come with the input of your possible mentor for the project or from others in the bioruby community.

The timeline is a little problematic, but the OBF mentors can further discuss that.  One thing that will cause a problem is that there is a significant amount of time (about one month) for community bonding, so any coding on a significant project in that period will be tricky.

chris