[BioRuby] BioRuby Wrapper for Command line application (GSOC 2011)

Алесь ales.guzik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:27:59 UTC 2011

Hello. My name is Ales and I'd like to implement BioRuby wrapper for
command line applications as my Google Summer of Code 2011 project.

1. Your complete contact information, including full name, physical
address, preferred email address, and telephone number, plus other
pertinent contact information such as IRC handles, etc.

Ales Guzik
4th year student at Belarusian State University of Informatics and
Radioelectronics.
Belarus, Minsk, P.Brovki st. 3-1 46
ales.guzik at gmail.com
+375 25 902 8190 (Belarus)
+1 650 336 5853 (Google Voice)
skype: ales-guzik
IRC, twitter, facebook, github etc.: nekotwi

2. Why you are interested in the project you are proposing and are
well-suited to undertake it.

This project is interesting for me because it requires metaprogramming
- thing I most like in ruby and
because it's BioRuby - project I wanted to get familiar with long time ago.
I use Ruby more than 2 years for most of my university tasks and daily
linux scripting. 2 month ago I
started working as Ruby on Rails developer. I have pretty good
experience in ruby metaprogramming which
is needed for this project.

3. A summary of your programming experience and skills.

I have well experience in C, know but not heavily used C++ and Qt,
long time ago learned some Erlang,
have coded some C# at university but dislike it, played a bit with
Android/Java programming.
Know and sometimes use Scheme(Racket), now learning some Perl 5.
Started learning Ruby somewhere in the beginning of 2nd university
year and liked it very much.

4. Programs or projects you have previously authored or contributed
to, in particular those available as open-source, including, if
applicable, any past Summer of Code involvement.

I haven't yet contributed to opensource projects (except for some tiny
projects by myself) but really want to.

5. A project plan for the project you are proposing, even if your
proposed project is directly based on one of the proposed project
ideas for member projects.

  1) Get familiar with source code, use cases and documentation of
BioRuby and BioRuby-ngs
  2) Define specs and write rspec tests for this CLI application wrapper
  3) Code to make all tests pass
  4) Optimize code for processing BIG ammounts of information
  5) Refactor
  6) Document undocumented parts

6. Any obligations, vacations, or plans for the summer that may
require scheduling during the GSoC work period.

I work as rails programmer 30 hours a week. It's like 8:00 - 14:00
GMT+2 DST monday - friday, so I can code for
my project 14:30 - 22:00 or even more. It will be like this in june and august.
In july I'll be at military training. I'll have time and internet
access but can't tell my schedule for now.

--
Regards,
Ales Guzik
e-mail: ales.guzik at gmail.com