[BioRuby] The third BioRuby IRC conference on Dec 30th

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Fri Dec 31 04:44:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

Last night, we discussed about the "blessed" plugins,
which will be a set of recommended plugins.

You can read the IRC log at the following page as always:
  http://bioruby.org/irc/?date=2010-12

We agreed to maintain two "meta" packages of plugins

* "bio-full" --> not reviewd but includes all plugins
* "bio-core" --> reviewed/selected/recommended plugins

and Raoul provided the first example of the "bio-full"
meta package at https://github.com/helios/bioruby-full

Although, the name of these meta packages and the system
to maintain those in detail are still under discussion.

Additionally, I created a toy plugin "bio-hello" for fun
(and hopefully a working example of the BioRuby plugin).

% gem install bio-hello
% biohello.rb -x -c "A happy new year!"

gcataacatgcacctccttattaaaatgaatggtaatatgaagcaaga

     gc
    c--g
   a---t
  t----a
 a----t
a---t
c--g
 at
 at
c--g
g---c
 t----a
  g----c
   g---c
    a--t
     gc
     cg
    t--a
   t---a
  a----t
 t----a
t---a
a--t
 at
 ta
t--a
a---t
 c----g
  t----a
   t---a
    a--t
     cg
     gc
    t--a
   a---t
  a----t
 t----a
a---t
t--a
 gc
 ta
t--a
c---g
 g----c
  t----a
   t---a
    c--g
     ta

% ruby -rubygems -r bio -e 'p Bio::Sequence::NA.new("gcataacatgcacctccttattaaaatgaatggtaatatgaagcaaga").translate'
 ==> "A*HAPPY*NEW*YEAR"

Please see https://github.com/ktym/bioruby-hello/blob/master/lib/bio-hello.rb and try

% biohello.rb --help

for more details. I hope you enjoy!