[BioRuby] Post Hackathon tasks

K. Shameer shameer at ncbs.res.in
Thu Feb 21 10:38:18 UTC 2008

Dear Jan and all,

>> * Flat file conversion module (Genbank, FASTA, PIR, EMBL, SP, etc. )
>> Is there any flat file/feature rich format conversion module in BioRuby.
>> If it is not there it will be nice to see one in the next release. This
>> will be one of the basic and useful utility.
>>
> This happens to be something we started working on during the hackathon.
> You'll be able to read an EMBL file and write it out as GenBank. Formats
> we're looking at at the moment are GenBank, EMBL and Fasta.

It will be great if you could add FASTA to PIR as well. I do a lot of
homology modelling using MODELLER. I always need to convert my FASTA files
to PIR using custom script either manually or custom-perl scripts.

>> * Revised tutorials are always welcome Alex, Hope you will include the
>> examples based on the last two bio.pdb doubts as well.
> These should end up on the new wiki:
> http://bioruby.open-bio.org/wiki/Main_Page -> Documentation -> Tutorials

Hats off to all the people behind the new page !!!
Excellent design :)
Many thanks to Katayama for the Rails video. I am going try this out tonite.

> I'm planning on working on a tutorial myself on how to recalculate
> positions between query and subject in a BLAST output.

I am looking forward to see it.

>> *** I am interested to contribute to BioRuby project, It will be great
>> if
>> somebody can direct me to do some works. Documentation work will be fine
>> in the beginning and later I can contribute some modules as well.
> We might be able to think of something :-)

My fingers are crossed, I am eagerly waiting for the reply :)
--
K. Shameer
Lab (# 25) The Computational Biology Group