[BioRuby] looking for a cool project to do using bioruby

Topher Cyll christophercyll at gmail.com
Thu May 24 22:22:56 UTC 2007

Hi BioRubyers,

I'm a long time reader of this list, but I think this might be my first post.

I'm in the process of writing a Ruby project book.  Each chapter
guides the reader through a new and unusual project they can code in
Ruby. For comparison, in other chapters we do things like compose
music, build a game, run simulations, implement Lisp, etc.

I'd really like to include a project using BioRuby (since I think a
lot of Rubyists would find it exciting).  But with only one
undergraduate bio-informatics class under my belt, I'm a little stuck
on ideas for fun and interesting projects.

So I thought I'd ask the experts!

Can anyone think of a fun, interesting use for BioRuby that I could
walk readers through?  I like to have each project produce a final
product, instead of just doing a tutorial, so I'm looking for a idea
that would have some implementation work, but wouldn't be too, too
difficult.

Any ideas?
Toph