[BioRuby] License

Angel Pizarro angel at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 28 12:33:22 UTC 2007

I believe that a consistent license is best, but let's not let that be a
barrier to release. Strictly speaking, GPL is not as restrictive as it
perceived to be by the general public. For more information look here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/public-license-explained

What this means for Ruby (and Rails applications) is that unless you extend
the GPL module in some way (for instance wrapping a C library in SWIG to
derive a Ruby C extension or adding methods to a module/class) it is not
effected by the GPL and can be released along with other licensing terms.
Simply calling the methods of a module does not constitute a "derived
work".  Passing data between modules is also not considered a derived work.

Cheers!
-angel