[Biopython] Pull requests ready for merging into Biopython 1.81?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:07:10 EST 2022

Hello all,

With Biopython 1.80 finally released at short notice (I finally dedicated
a quiet day at work to this), there are likely several overlooked pull
requests which were ready for a final review and/or merging, which
we should look at now ready for Biopython 1.81.

The first nomination is:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/3898/

More suggestions please?

We could do Biopython 1.81 as soon as next month, especially if someone
else would like to volunteer to be release manager (even the planning side
like this in labelling and tracking blocking issues, I could still do the hands
on bit as required). There is likely GitHub functionality we could use here -
does anyone have first hand experience of that?

I identified a few pain points on the practical release process as written,
and have some ideas to improve this - including looking at automatically
uploading the wheels to PyPI:

https://biopython.org/wiki/Building_a_release

One of the main pain points is currently building the documentation,
which requires latex (easy enough but a large dependency) and also
hevea for HTML (not as easy to install as it could be). I have not yet
been able to dedicate more time to finish the planned conversion
from LaTeX and these tools to RST and Sphinx.

Thank you,