[Biopython] Biopython Project Update 20019, was: [Bosc-announce] BOSC 2019 Call for Abstracts

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed May 15 15:18:38 UTC 2019

Dear Biopythoneers,

I've put together an abstract for BOSC 2019 (PDF attached, plain text below)
for any quick comments before I submit it later today. There may be a chance
to tweak this during the abstract review process, if for example I've forgotten
something or someone important.

The source is currently here, on what was originally a fork of Bow's
repository -
which we're going to move under the Biopython GitHub account shortly:

https://github.com/peterjc/talks/blob/master/2019_BOSC/abstract/abstract.tex

The Biopython Project is a long-running distributed collaborative
effort, supported by the Open Bioinformatics Foundation, which
develops a freely available Python library for biological computation
[1]. This talk will look ahead to the year to come, and give a summary
of the project news since the 1.72 release in June 2018, and the talk
at GCCBOSC 2018.

While there were no major new modules introduced in Biopython 1.73
(December 2018) or Biopython 1.74 (expected May/June 2019), there have
been lots of incremental improvements. In terms of lines of code
changed, a substantial proportion have been in-line documentation
(Python docstrings), used to generate human readable API
documentation. While we are still using epydoc for this, our
continuous integration system has been generating more modern HTML
output using Sphinx, which we hope to host on our domain, or at Read
The Docs, making this work much more visible to the world. We have
been using the tool flake8 with various plugins for this (as well as
checking coding style), showing a steady improvement in best practice
compliance - every public API should be documented this year.

In 2017 we started a re-licensing plan, to transition away from our
liberal but unique Biopython License Agreement to the similar but very
widely used 3-Clause BSD License. We are reviewing the code base
authorship file-by-file, to gradually dual license the entire project.
All new contributions are dual licensed, and currently half the Python
files in the main library have been dual licensed.

Another important going effort is improving the unit test coverage.
Sadly This is currently fairly static at about 85% (excluding online
tests), but can be viewed online at CodeCov.io.

We are using GitHub-integrated continuous integration testing on Linux
(using TravisCI) and Windows (using AppVeyor), including enforcing the
Python PEP8 and PEP257 coding style guidelines. We hope to be able to
recommend a simple git pre-commit hook for our contributors shortly,
and have discussed the idea of adopting the new yet popular Python
code formatting style tool black to reduce the human time costs in
writing compliant code.

Looking further ahead, in 2020, in line with most major scientific
Python libraries, we will be dropping support for Python 2. See
https://python3statement.org/

Finally, since our last update talk in June 2018, Biopython has had 32
named contributors including 14 newcomers. This reflects our policy of
trying to encourage even small contributions. This brings our total
named contributor count to 248 since the project began, and looks
likely to break 250 by our 20th Birthday in August 2019.