[Biopython] Attempting to automatically publish the Sphinx API documentation

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 11 15:19:57 UTC 2019

Dear Biopythoneers,

Progress - I have got a working prototype, extending the TravisCI
job which already built the API documentation, to also deploy it
to a documentation GitHub pages repository:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/2172

You can view the results here, although don't be too surprised
if the content vanishes at intervals with a 404 error while things
are reset for testing. Also, the URL scheme is not yet confirmed:

New: https://biopython.org/docs/dev/api/ (to be confirmed)
Old: https://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/

I am thinking to have both versions live for the Biopython 1.74
release, and thereafter have a redirection setup.

I'll soon be asking everyone to help proof read the new version
for layout issues (and other docstring problems too).

If anyone has strong views on using biopython.org (which is on
GitHub pages) versus external hosting on Read-The-Docs, now
would be a good time to speak up.

Thanks,

Peter