[Biopython] Biopython 1.76 plans

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 18 16:16:52 UTC 2019

Dear Biopythoneers,

As has been discussed earlier, we hope to release Biopython 1.76 this
month (December 2019). This will be a significant milestone as our
final release to support Python 2 which is now officially at end of
life:

https://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2019-November/016735.html

https://python3statement.org/

Additionally, I am proposing this also be the final release to support
Python 3.5:

https://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2019-December/016737.html

We had a couple of issues reported with Biopython 1.75 post release,
mainly from the Debian packaging team covering C code doctests and C
code on alternative CPUs - which are now being tested via TravisCI.

Otherwise I am not aware of any reported issues which would be a
release blocker.

If no one has any objections, I propose to do the release this Friday,
20 December 2019.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,