[Biopython] Deprecating BlastTextParser

Wibowo Arindrarto bow at bow.web.id
Thu Nov 22 10:00:41 UTC 2018

Dear Michiel, Peter, and everyone,

I actually prefer to have the text parsing functionality in
maintenance mode: no addition of new features, but also not removing
it entirely. We probably can make a few things clearer / more visible
in our documentation: that this was developed using the text output of
old BLAST releases and that we will not be adding support or updating
it to work with text output from new releases.

So far, I have seen only very minor (if any) maintenance work related
to the text output parser. And I believe it still has its uses in
those corner cases where one really needs to parse the text output
from an irreproducible BLAST search. So it seems to me that we would
be losing more (functionality-wise) by deprecating it, rather than
keeping it in maintenance mode.

With kind regards,
Bow