[Biopython] Changes to help Community Building

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:36:00 UTC 2018

Dear (potential) Biopythoneers,

Last week I gave the Biopython Project Update 2018 talk in Portland
at the combined Galaxy Community Conference / Bioinformatics
Open Source Conference (GCCBOSC 2018). The slides are here,
and there should be a video in due course:

https://f1000research.com/slides/7-974

In reference to the penultimate slide, "Changes to hep Community
Building" [with typo, oops], we made two small changes yesterday:

I renamed our "Easy Fix" tag to "good first issue" and added "help wanted".
These are standard labels which GitHub now promotes, so that should
help with discovery.

https://help.github.com/articles/helping-new-contributors-find-your-project-with-labels/

Brandon had the nice idea of trying check boxes on the pull request
template to try to ensure people read all of it, and in particular add
their name to the contributors as part of the pull request. I've noticed
for many if not most pull requests this is overlooked, but people are
usually happy to be acknowledged.

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/1711
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/f9f0b66db3f68279ce06987ccab25523a5e39ee9

Finally on that slide I asked if we needed a code of conduct.
Some background reading on this topic:

https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-code-of-conduct-to-your-project/
https://opensource.guide/code-of-conduct/

The OBF board is considering requiring a code of conduct for
potential new member projects, and if the policy is adopted, may
ultimately require this for existing member projects as well in order
to maintain their official status as OBF member projects.

Part of the OBF thinking here is that in the event of a code-of-conduct
violation involving the member project leadership, this can be referred
to the OBF board.

Peter

(I am writing here primarily as a Biopython developer, but also as
member of the board for our parent organisation, the Open Bioinformatics
Foundation or OBF, https://www.open-bio.org)