[Biopython] Markov modelling

Chris Mitchell chris.mit7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 22:32:42 UTC 2012

Hi George,

A few things I would do:
1) Make a spare dataset by randomly selecting a subset of your data to
visualize.  Just blindly fitting the data points to any distribution
usually doesn't end well.
2) Find a copy of Numerical Recipes and read up on fitting data/modeling.
 There is a good section on Markov Models and other fitting routines.
3) Think about what you are trying to fit.  Is the process generating the
data a Poisson Process?  What sort of equation should be used to model it,
and what do the extracted parameters mean in relation to your data?  Start
with the simplest model you can explain (linear) and add/change parameters
only if you can justify it.

Chris

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM, George Devaniranjan <devaniranjan at gmail.com