[Biopython] .ab1 file parser in biopython?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:37:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Uri Laserson <laserson at mit.edu> wrote:
> I also found the following code lying around somewhere.  I copied it into
> one of my repositories:
>
> https://github.com/laserson/pytools/blob/master/ab1.py
>
> "Python implementation of an ABIF file reader according to Applied
> Biosystems' specificatons" as specified in March 2007, it appears.

Its under the GPL license. If you contacted the named author, Francis
Wolinski, and he was willing to re-licence for Biopython to use, then we
could consider incorporating it.

Alternatively it shouldn't be too hard to reimplement it from scratch
based on the published specification (and go one step further and
consider output too).

http://www.appliedbiosystems.com/support/software_community/ABIF_File_Format.pdf

Note some case would be needed to work on Python 3, but we
can follow the example of our SFF parser here.

Is there actually a need for this though? As I said before, for my own
needs getting the ABI file into FASTQ format (or FASTA+QUAL) has
sufficed.