[BioPython] Precompute database information

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Oct 17 15:34:17 UTC 2007

Fernando wrote:
>>Asking users to use MySQL to do updates might be a bit much.  Could this
>>be done from the .obo files?
>
> I think that's probably the best solution... Is there any python module
> for working with OBO / OWL  formats? I've been searching but people seem
> to use BioPerl for this matter

In a way, it seems silly to reimplement the Bio::OntologyIO stuff in
python, but I (and others, after a quick google search) would probably
benefit from such a thing.  I'm not able to devote much time right this
minute to the project, but I think that, given the huge number of
particularly obo format files available, there would be use for such
parsers and tools in biopython.  How much interest/need is there for a
Bio.OntologyIO like thing?  Has anyone made any attempts at creating one?

For a list of available biologic ontologies (to see what we are
missing), see here:

http://obofoundry.org/

Sean