[BioPython] Generating Figures in Python

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:39:15 -0400

Hello all;
This past week I've been writing code to help me generate figures for
some exploratory research I've been doing. Using the really excellent
reportlab distribution (http://www.reportlab.com), I've already been
generating some pretty nice pdf output. For instance, here's an
example of the type of stuff:

http://www.bioinformatics.org/bradstuff/lab/cotton_locations-all.pdf

This got me thinking -- is there any interest in this type of code for
biopython?

Right now the code I've got is just for drawing chromosome stuff like
this, but reportlab lets you make things nice and modular, so it seems
like it would be possible to collect a lot of different useful "figure
parts" for putting together stuff like this. What do people think --
is this generally useful?

If you are interested, you can look at the code I have right now in
the CVS repository I use at bioinformatics.org:

http://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biopy-pgml/Bio/PGML/Graphics/

Anyways, just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Brad