[BioPython] "Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills"

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:24:35 -0400

I wrote:
> > Johann tries to start a language war:

Johann:
> Actually not.  I assumed I was speaking to a Python-centric audience, where
> what I was saying would be accepted dogma.

Awww, I was only giving you a hard time :-). Seriously, I think we've
been making a lot of strides getting different languages together
(ie. BioCorba) which'll hopefully let us draw on the different
strenghts of each language. On the other hand, I can understand the
"bash Perl" type mentality in the python community; almost everytime I
mention to someone that I like to program in python, the first
question I get is -- what does python offer over perl? Hey, they're
forcing us to try and find fault in Perl!

Anyways, you should be careful being hard on Perl -- don't
forget that we were almost gonna to be programming in Parrot
if it wasn't for Andrew's brilliant research (
http://www.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/msg/python-list:509693
for those of you that weren't following the hilarity that is c.l.py).

Thank-god-a-physics-degree-helps-you-get-high-R-values-ly yr's,
Brad