[Biopython-dev] Protecting master branch on GitHub?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:18:41 UTC 2017

Hello all,

In practice the new branch protection works nicely
when the volume of pull request is low. However,
it seems that a side effect of the change is GitHub is
more insistent that the PR has been tested against
the latest master branch.

This makes dealing with merging multiple unrelated
pull requests one after the other much more painful -
as after the first merge the others need retesting.

I have in the short term allowed administrators to
override this, for example this pull request (where
I have included screenshots of the merge process):

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/1426

If anyone has a deeper understanding of how GitHub
might be better configured that would be a plus.

Peter