[Biopython-dev] Inquiry regarding 'testseq' function.

Adil Iqbal aiqbal85 at gmail.com
Mon May 29 13:01:50 UTC 2017

Greetings everyone,

*TL:DR VERSION*
You can view the isolated function on my github:
https://github.com/Adil-Iqbal/Personal-Projects/blob/master/Test%20Sequence/testseq.py

I was wondering if you guys think such a function has a place in the source
code and where you think it would should be placed.

There was recently a pull-request where the addition failed the docstring
test because it uses RNG, but I've fixed that by seeding the RNG.

*LONG VERSION:*
Thanks for taking the time read my inquiry. I was tutoring a few
high-school kids about basic biological concepts like the central dogma and
I thought Biopython would be a fun and interactive way to do that.

The experiment went well. The issue I kept running into though is the kids
needed to enter the letters in manually and they would mess up by adding
the wrong letter to the the wrong alphabet (the "U" in RNA vs. the "T" in
DNA was the most common mistake).

I wrote a function that helps with demonstration, and I can see a possible
use-case when testing code. It's called 'testseq' and it generates a faux
Seq object that students/developers can play around with. It sticks to the
IUPAC alphabets and has a few other options if necessary.

I would have taught them how to query databases, but we did not have
internet access at the time.

Anyways, I thought it might be nice to have this functionality available in
Biopython. You can view the isolated function on my github:
https://github.com/Adil-Iqbal/Personal-Projects/blob/master/Test%20Sequence/testseq.py

I was wondering if you guys think such a function has a place in the source
code and where you think it would should be placed.

There was recently a pull-request where the addition failed the docstring
test because it uses RNG, but I've fixed that by seeding the RNG.

Warmest regards,
Adil Iqbal