[Biopython-dev] Planning to drop Python 2 support by 2020?

João Rodrigues j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 01:51:23 UTC 2017

As we say in Portuguese, 'this discussion grew a beard'. Tiago, you are
absolutely right.
​
I'll say it again. My opinion is that we should move to Python 3.x for
Biopython 2.x *but* keep a version of Biopython 1.x that we support for
critical bug fixes for those users stuck with Python 2.x (for whatever
reason).

I think we should focus on other topics such as modularity. What do the
proponents of the said modularity say about it? What are its advantages? I
personally think a big disadvantage is that with one package install you
get a wide array of tools for a variety of subjects. With a constellation
of modules you might end up with an up-to-date core and an out-of-date lone
module somewhere, which makes things much much harder not only to maintain
but also to debug in case of issues.

(I have the impression I'm of the youngest here and already this guy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_of_Restelo>)