[Biopython-dev] Ideas for Biopython 2.0

João Rodrigues j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 01:31:29 UTC 2017

Thanks for the summary page Tiago.

I know Python 2 will stop being supported by many important packages in
2020, I'm just saying it'll be a headache for a ton of people, and very
likely out of their hands (users vs sys admins). A very common case is the
tool that was built 6 years ago, runs perfectly fine, doesn't need an
upgrade, but will stop working in 2020 because a system update removed Py2.
The user would have to ask the admins to keep two versions of Python in
their clusters, which is anyway what we have at the moment in most of
them.. But you are making a very good point.. Since everyone is moving, we
should move too, otherwise it'll be on us to do support. I agree with that,
as long Biopython 1 remains Py2 compliant (this is very important, I don't
know we will hit version 2 by 2020).

As for a survey, I agree 100% with Tiago, most people we want answers from
will NOT see the survey, much less reply.. It'd be a great idea if we had
some sort of registration system..