[Biopython-dev] Ideas for Biopython 2.0

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 15:09:42 UTC 2017

If people are stuck on Python 2, they do have a simple solution: use
Biopython 1. That would probably be maintained at least until 2020.

If Biopython 2 goes ahead (a big if) then I doubt it would be launched very
soon: in the big scheme of things we are fast approaching 2020, and I doubt
a first release of Biopython 2 would occur before 2018.

With regards to the Python 3 version I would suggest supporting only the
most recent when we start Biopython 3. In any case nothing before 3.5.

In my mind the most important discussion is the module system. All the rest
seems easy (lots of work still) in comparison.