[Biopython-dev] Ideas for Biopython 2.0

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 16:41:12 UTC 2017

On 21 June 2017 at 09:32, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> By this do you mean agreeing a new scheme for where to put things,
> or the related but even harder challenge of how to allow sub-module
> installation under the Biopython namespace using actual sub-packages
> on PyPI? [*]. If anyone knows of a Python based effort like this, that
> would be really helpful for the practical details.

The latter, no doubt. It is mostly a technical challenge. Well done would
be amazing, poorly executed will be biting us in the rear forever.

The other potential serious problem would be how much code is shared
between 1 and 2.

I actually do not have opinions about the previous two points (maybe
because I find them hard), but I believe all the rest is easier.

If no one opposes, I would like to open a page on the wiki about this. Just
as a place to put ideas, so that they will not be forgotten.

--
Tiago Antao
Scientific and HPC programmer