[Biopython-dev] Renaming README -> README.rst etc?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:16:34 UTC 2017

Dear Biopythoneers,

Would anyone object to renaming these files:

README --> README.rst (shown on GitHub main page)
LICENSE --> LICENCE.rst (recently edited)
CONTRIBUTING --> CONTRIBUTING.rst (new file)

We could leave a symlink for the long standing naming for the
README and LICENSE file (currently done the other way
round so that GitHub will render the README using the
reStructuredText markup).

I was previously reluctant, but text markup file extensions like
*.md (markdown) and *.rst are now quite widely used.

This will require minor updates to the MANIFEST.in file, and
to our documentation where the old filenames may occur.

Peter

P.S. This was prompted by finding GitHub fails to nicely render
CONTRIBUTING.rst when it is only a symlink; see also
https://help.github.com/articles/setting-guidelines-for-repository-contributors/