[Biopython-dev] Jython 2.7 problems

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:51:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Tiago Rodrigues Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 11:55:37 +0100
> Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Out of interest, for those of you on the biopython-dev list, what
>> is your current default or main Python version/implementation?
>> I'm wondering what the split is amongst our main contributors.
>
> Anaconda Python 3.5 (with Jupyter most of the time)
>

> In a similar note, is anyone using Jython? I have the suspicion that I
> (indirectly) account for 99%+ users on Jython (via Lositan and Mcheza).
> If there is a deprecation on Jython (which I think it would make
> sense), I would handle my side...
>
> Tiago

I've been updating some of the buildslave machines from Jython 2.7b2
to the official release Jython 2.7, and sadly while this fixed some issues
is appears to have created some new ones:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/632

This looks like something subtle to do with the core integer classes... if
we can't solve this quickly I'd like to reword the README file to say things
mostly work on Jython - rather than further delaying Biopython 1.66
to try to fix this?