[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:29:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Are there still any major platforms using Python 2.6 by default?
>

> Or which will still be using py2.6 two Biopython releases from now. Python
> 2.6 development and support ended Oct 2013 and has been in security only
> since 2011. It is not like platforms have not had notice.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I am hoping no one on the
biopython-dev list has any objections to phasing out Python 2.6
support?

> I would consider setting a timeframe to fork Biopython into 2.7 and 3.3+
> with 2.7 receiving bug fixes only (same as python 2.7) I suggest this
> because continuing to develop new code to support 2.7 until 2020
> seem wrong.

Right now I'd be happy to have a forward looking README about
Python 3, and to have a clear end of life plan for Python 2.6.

I expect plenty of Biopython users will still want to use Python 2.7
for some time yet. Some time later on, a maintenance fork of
Biopython just for Python 2.7 might make sense if there is interest
in continuing that even after we drop Python 2.7 for new features.