[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Mon Oct 5 16:13:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Are there still any major platforms using Python 2.6 by default?

Or which will still be using py2.6 two Biopython releases from now. Python 2.6
development and support ended Oct 2013 and has been in security only since
2011. It is not like platforms have not had notice.

I would consider setting a timeframe to fork Biopython into 2.7 and 3.3+
with 2.7 receiving bug fixes only (same as python 2.7) I suggest this
because continuing to develop new code to support 2.7 until 2020 seem
wrong.

Vincent Davis
720-301-3003