[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Tiago Rodrigues Antao tra at popgen.net
Thu Oct 1 16:28:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 11:08:48 -0500
Iddo Friedberg <idoerg at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I admit I've been a bit out of touch. but:
>
> 1. Is biopython P2 no longer being developed?
> 2. Does biopython P3 have the needed optional dependencies now?

I prefer the new wording myself. With regards to the two points that
you raise, I think:

1. Guido apparently sees Legacy Python (P2) as in maintenance mode.

2. I think (and "think" is different from "being sure") that we are
fine as it stands. There was the issue of Bio.SQL with MySQL that was
solved with the pure Python connector and the last remaining (as far as
I know) was the dot library for Bio.Phylo. I think that all the code
is currently being tested against Python (P3).

Tiago