[Biopython-dev] Updating Biopython requirements wording to recommend Python 3

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:23:08 UTC 2015

Hi Iddo,

We're supporting Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3+ with a single codebase
(with Bio._py3k holding a few hacks like the external module six
offers). This works fine for now, but we do often have to tweak new
code contributions to make them work on legacy Python 2.

The "major" dependencies like NumPy and ReportLab are also
available on Python 2 and 3. I'm actually not sure right now what
is missing in Python 3 (apart from mysqldb where there are forks
and alternatives here we might adopt).

I'm not suggesting we drop Python 2 support yet - just rephrase
the README to encourage Python 3 usage as the default.

Peter