[Biopython-dev] Adding a CONTRIBUTING.rst file for GitHub?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:59:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:26 PM, João Rodrigues
<j.p.g.l.m.rodrigues at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Created a gist with a mock-up. I used some paragraphs of the
> contribution-guide.org page as well.
>
> https://gist.github.com/JoaoRodrigues/d34402046890094aa42e
>
> Feel free to edit, maybe it's a bit too bulky for such a file?
>
> Cheers,
>
> João

Thanks João,

It is bit long, but all useful stuff. I think we'd be able to remove
the Tutorial chapter and just point at this new file instead :)

What do people think? Should we post this to the main list for
comment (most of the people on the biopython-dev list are
likely already contributors)?

Also note GitHub prompts people to read this when filing an issue
with a yellow box "Please review the guidelines for contributing to
this repository." linking to the CONTRIBUTING file.

Peter

Small details/polish:

The apostrophes look wrong in the raw view: you’re
(rather than you're I see you(e-hat)(euro)(trademark)re here)

Bullet point nesting under "Perform basic troubleshooting steps:"
is missing.

Links are missing, e.g. issue tracker needs a link to GitHub
issues, mailing list needs a link to the mailman or wiki page,
and links to the PEPs.

The code snippets under Coding conventions could use
the RST double backtick markup for in-line literals.