[Biopython-dev] changing PDB file chains

David Cain davidjosephcain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 02:52:12 UTC 2013

Hi, John. Your error is that you're using pdbid[0]["A"], where pdbid is a
string (not an instance of PDB.Structure, as you probably expect it to be).

You seem to have the parent detachment down, you just need to properly
attach to a new chain. Calling waterResidue.add(...) will add a child
object to the residue (which should be an atom:
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/Bio.PDB.Residue-pysrc.html#L73).
Instead, you want to call newChain.add(waterResidue).

Just FYI, looking at how Structures are constructed by
StructureBuilder<http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/Bio.PDB.StructureBuilder.StructureBuilder-class.html>
should
help you with the mechanics of modifying the SMRCA hierarchy. That is,
StructureBuilder creates a Structure from scratch- if you understand how a
Structure is built, it should make modifying a Structure trivial!

As far as Aniso records, I don't believe the current implementation of
PDBIO can handle that. You could always modify the source code to fit your
needs, though! (I'm sure others would benefit from your changes).

David Cain
+1 (339) 222 4452