[Biopython-dev] Fwd: Re: tutorial translation and rst files

Yanbo Ye yeyanbo289 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 17:36:48 UTC 2013

forgot to add the list
---------- 转发的邮件 ----------
发件人:"Yanbo Ye" <yeyanbo289 at gmail.com>
日期:2013年12月13日 上午1:09
主题:Re: [Biopython-dev] tutorial translation and rst files
收件人:"Peter Cock" <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
抄送:

Hi Peter,

I added the compiled html files to the repository and the format seems to
be ok.
https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/cn/allinone.html
https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/en/allinone.html

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Yanbo Ye <yeyanbo289 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > We almost completed the Chinese translation of the Biopython tutorial and
> > fixed the format errors caused by latex to rst conversion. It's based on
> > the Update – 22 March 2013 and the repository is here:
> > https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn , including the English version .
> >
> > I heard there was an discussion about switching the tutorial format from
> > latex to rst or Sphinx/reStructuredText port. don't whether these files
> are
> > useful for this task. I'm not an expert in rst format and there must be
> > other errors in those files. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Best,
> > Yanbo
>
> Hi Yanbo,
>
> That looks impressive - the individual chapters are fast on GitHub,
> but even the whole English document displays quite quickly there:
> https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/en/allinone.rst
>
> Sadly the all-in-one document makes GitHub struggle:
> https://github.com/bigwiv/Biopython-cn/blob/master/cn/allinone.rst
>
> Did you have any trouble converting particular parts of the Tutorial?
> There are a few places where we used LaTeX for complex
> mathematical formulas - that seems to be an rst weakness.

There were many format errors with the hyperlinks, lists, tables and
formulas.
You can check the original converted file Tutorial.rst for reference.
Now most of them are fixed, including the formulas(by using the latex code
in the original latex file).

Another big trouble is the title level inconsistency.
For example, in chapter 15, there are three individual subsections before
the section 15.1 start.
It cannot be compiled through. Now I just change them to the section level
to avoid the error.
Any other solution?

> Can you post compiled HTML and PDF output (English & Chinese)
> as well? That would be a fairer way to look at the output, rather
> than just seeing how GitHub renders it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> P.S. The six month old Tutorial.rst in the repository root does
> not seem to work?

This is the original file converted and is just for reference.

Best,
Yanbo

--

*Yanbo Ye*
*Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health, *

*Email: ye_yanbo at gibh.ac.cn <ye_yanbo at gibh.ac.cn>*
*Web: http://www.yeyanbo.com <http://www.yeyanbo.com>*
*Phone: (86)-020-32093810*