[Biopython-dev] Self Introduction

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 27 10:55:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Yanbo Ye wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My name is Yanbo Ye. I'm a third-year master student in
> bioinformatics(mainly phylogenetics) in China. My master project is about
> the genome evolution of baculovirus and a bioinformatics tool development.

Hi Yanbo, and welcome.

> So based on my experice, I'd like to contribute to the Phylo package of
> Biopython for some unimplemented methods during the Google Summer of Code
> this year, which will be under the direction of Eric Talevich.

To apply for GSoC you need to write a project proposal
(including a workplan for the summer), which will then
be judged by the NESCent GSoC mentors in competition
with the other applicants. We encourage students to
share their draft proposals for feedback - here on the
biopython-dev list and/or the NESCent Phyloinformatics
Summer of Code community on Google Plus. Please
also introduce yourself there:
https://plus.google.com/communities/105828320619238393015

> I have been using python and Biopython for nearly a year to do some
> sequence file parsing and tree manipulation. But I must say I'm still new
> to python about the design convention or any popular python packages, etc.
> Anyway, I'm a fast learner and would like to improve my python programming
> skills through this project. I'd like to discuss with you during this
> project and hope you could help me.

Are you interested in one of the ideas we put on the wiki?
http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2013
http://biopython.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

These are suggestions which can be modified, or provided
there is a suitable mentor you can suggest something different.

Do you have something specific you'd like to work on?

Regards,