[Biopython-dev] OBF not accepted for GSoC 2013

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:41:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Unfortunately this year we have not been accepted on the Google
> Summer of Code scheme:
>
> I'm sure the rest of the OBF board and the other Bio* developers
> will join me in thanking Pjotr Prins for his efforts as the OBF
> GSoC administrator co-ordinating our application this year, as
> well as last year's administrator Rob Bruels and the other mentors
> for their efforts.

Ahem. Rob Buels was the previous OBF GSoC co-ordinator, sorry.

> For those of you not subscribed to the OBF's GSoC mailing list,
> I am forwarding Pjotr's email from last night (also below):
> http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/gsoc/2013/000211.html
>
> In all 177 organisations were accepted (about the same as the
> last few years), and they will be listed here (once they have filled
> out their profile information):
> https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013
>
> To potential students this summer, the good news is that some
> related organisations have been accepted, such as NESCent,
> the National Resource for Network Biology (NRNB - known for
> Cytoscape), SciRuby (Ruby Science Foundation), so there is
> still some scope for doing a bioinformatics related project in
> GSoC 2013, perhaps even with a Bio* developer as a co-mentor.
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Peter
> (Biopython developer, OBF board member)

For any Biopython based projects, I think our best bet is to
talk to NESCent (with whom we've had a couple of GSoC
students prior to the OBF applying directly). That seems
like a good fit with the phylogenetic ideas Eric suggested:
http://informatics.nescent.org/wiki/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2013

Looking over the list of other accepted applications, the
Python Software Foundation (PSF) was also accepted
and they're doing this as an umbrella organisation - so
also worth talking to:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2013

Regards,